Wednesday, August 23, 2006

KISS THIS GUY

I picked up a copy of the Dolls' Too Much, Too Soon in Japan-- it appears to be out of print over here.

Reading the lyrics in the CD booklet is as disconcerting as listening to a lunatic rant.

Like, occasionally there are moments of lucidity where they flat get it right.

Then there are moments where, with some effort, you can reconstruct a bit of the logic behind the babble:

“That reminds me of Will Rogers
Back in 1933
And that was the year when he crashed on down
And his engines all packed up”

OK, yeah, Will Rogers died in a plane crash. Sure it was in 1935, but it was a plane crash. And I suppose that would cause one's engines to, um, pack up.

Of course it makes zero sense contextually. Here's the real deal:

“That reminds me of Buck Rogers
Back in 1933
That was the year when he crashed on down
And all the decos got stacked up”

And in moments like “Dad's gonna sell your womma” (“That's when I saw your momma”) I succumb to human frailty and avert my eyes...

No comments: