Friday, May 16, 2008

ADAY IN THE LIFE

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I needed to explain Meat Loaf’s Paradise by the Dashboard Light to someone.

Here’s the slightly compressed version of events:

[Makes passing reference to song]

[Reference to song is met with puzzled look]

“Seriously? You don’t know it?”

“No, I only know that one Meat Loaf song…”

Me interrupting. “This is that one Meat Loaf song!”

“No, the ‘I would do anything for love’ song.”

Christ. That’s Meat Loaf 2.0…

“Really? How about ‘Well, I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday’…”?

“No. I don’t think I know that one.”

“OK, hold on—you’ve earned this.” I called up YouTube and showed him the video. This whole conversation had started because we were talking about Phil Rizzuto, so I fast-forwarded to that part of the action.

“You see, the Scooter thought he was just providing play by play, and didn’t know they were going to use it for an extended ‘baseball as sex’ metaphor.”

“Hah.”

Oh, it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night...

No comments: