Wednesday, June 11, 2008

PUNCTUATION ROCK

So the book itself was nothing to fear.

It was a fairly nuts-and-bolts description of the genesis of Neutral Milk Hotel, and the recording of “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.”

There was one small interpretive section, for which the author nearly apologized.

The only thing that grated a little was an “alternative” reading of the opening to King of Carrot Flowers Parts 2 & 3. In case you’re not familiar, the song starts with a naked display of faith: “I love you Jesus Christ/Jesus Christ I love you, yes I do.”

The author offers a couple of commas to the atheists for whom this statement might present a barrier to engagement with the album, and turns Jesus Christ into an exclamation: “I love you, Jesus Christ/Jesus Christ, I love you, yes I do.”

Well, as an atheist myself, bear with me as I cozy up to my fellow atheists here for a second.

Hi, fellow atheists. So, um, how’s your atheism going? Been a while since we’ve spoken. How was your Generic Winter Holiday Celebration? Good, good to hear. So, anyway, about this King of Carrot Flowers Parts 2 & 3 thing. Yeah, uh, if listening to someone express their faith is a problem for you, I have a suggestion: Fuck off. Now I realize that’s not a particularly productive suggestion, but seriously, if hearing Jeff Mangum sing “I love you Jesus Christ” bars the door to your potential enjoyment of the album, then the album does not need you. You need it for certain, but I guess you’re kind of screwed there, huh? Well, take care, y’all.

No comments: