Monday, July 14, 2008

HALO

It wasn’t there.

You might have seen me if you were in the Albemarle Square Plan 9 on Saturday afternoon.

I was the one in a blue t-shirt and tan shorts, with black Mets Crocs. I was rocking a nascent goatee, brown under the nose and gray on the chin.

I spent several minutes in the V used rock CD section, a few minutes more than you’d rightly think anyone would need.

But it wasn’t there. And I couldn’t believe it wasn’t there.

It appears that somehow, the last used copy of Teenage Symphonies to God by Velvet Crush has left the building.

Now I won’t go so far as to say that the point of my two-hour drive down to Charlottesville was to confirm the continued presence of the disc. That would be kind of nuts. But let’s just say it was a side attraction.

My breath quickened a bit when I realized it was gone. I was disequilibrated.

And just as suddenly, I felt a sense of calm. I might have even grinned.

Because I realized at that moment what it is that I left in Charlottesville. And I realized as well that it’s waiting there for me.

I’ll let you know someday if I have the sense to pick it up…

No comments: