Monday, October 27, 2008

TIGER BEAT

Some random thoughts on the weekend's Deerhoof show...
  • Flying and Experimental Dental School both had one fewer member than they did when the reviews were written for their respective 2008 releases. Looks like downsizing has hit third-tier indie rock, and hard…
  • Satomi, Deerhoof singer/bassist, is tiny, but rocks large.
  • Greg, Deerhoof drummer, is Keith Moon on a Chris Partridge kit. Careful with those sticks, Eugene.
  • Greg endeared himself by introducing some acquaintances in attendance: the cousin who gave him his first album (Kiss Alive— not Kiss Alive II, fortunately), and three-quarters of his high-school barbershop quartet.
  • Satomi trotted out a plush tiger mask for the encore. (The last song they played was “Basket Ball Get Your Groove Back” from the new album, so I’m not quite sure what was up with that.) It did remind me of my favorite quote from this weekend: Sebastian called to me from the dining room, where his mother was enforcing one household rule or another, and said “Daddy, I think you married a tiger!” I fell off the couch, and even Taeko found it fit to laugh…

No comments: