Thursday, April 16, 2009

CVILLE NO EVIL

Went down to Charlottesville on Monday with my sister and her kids.

We hit Plan 9, and I put a used copy of I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One in my sister's hands. Even offered to pay for it.

I fielded some questions from my 13-year old niece:

“Is The Cure good?”

“Um, sure, sometimes. What do they have?”

She pulled out three used discs: Wish, Wild Mood Swings, and Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me.

I took the first two from her, and put them back in the racks without a word. I handed her Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me.

“This is OK. This'll do.”

She then made the mistake of presenting me with a My Chemical Romance disc, while her mom was within earshot.

“Nah, that's emo. You don't want that. You'll just start piercing crap and wearing black eyeliner.”

My sister caught this part of the conversation and promptly vetoed the purchase. I felt like such an inadvertent bastard.

Next time I'll buy my niece a copy of Hissing Fauna and tell her mom that it's about “nature”...

No comments: