Thursday, May 21, 2009

FLOAT ON

Dear Modest Mouse,

So basically, this is what happened.

I bought The Moon & Antarctica back when. Really liked 3rd Planet, but hoped against hope that the rest of the album was more “The universe is shaped exactly like the earth/If you go straight long enough you end up where you were” than “I've got this thing that I consider my only art of fucking people over.”

Gravity Rides Everything followed, and was probably one of my favorite songs of whatever year that was.

But then by the next song, we were back to “And I'm real damn sure that anyone can, equally easily fuck you over.” And I'm afraid I pretty much cut bait right there. I mean, I might have listened through the rest of the album once or twice, but generally I just stuck with the openers and didn't wade in any farther.

In the end I realize that it wasn't you, it was me. It was needlessly judgmental of me to think that you had an ungenerous view of human nature. I'm like that sometimes, I guess.

Anyway, thanks so much for those two songs.

Peace and regards,

sliced tongue

No comments: