Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I DON'T CARE TOO MUCH FOR MONEY

Depending on the angle of light on any given day, The Beatles can appear infinite.

But then you see the box set sitting there: 14 discs, 180 or so songs. And The Beatles seem as tiny as England.

The truth-- as always-- is somewhere in between.

I didn't gob up for the box-- too many middling early covers I'll never listen to, plus the Yellow Submarine soundtrack.

I started with A Hard Day's Night.

The first seven songs are from the movie, and are pretty much magic in a can: A Hard Day's Night, I Should Have Known Better, If I Fell, I'm Happy Just To Dance With You, And I Love Her, Tell Me Why, Can't Buy Me Love.

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, and bang.

The back six is not quite as strong. There's a reason you probably couldn't sing I'll Be Back or When I Get Home if I dared you.

But if the whole thing doesn't tickle your spine, you might want to try breathing on a mirror...

No comments: