Friday, September 23, 2011

LET'S BEGIN AGAIN

So, the end of R.E.M. sent me scurrying down to the sliced tongue vault in search of artifacts from the early days. Here's some of what I dug up.

The earliest review I could find was a quick and complimentary write up of the original Hib-Tone Radio Free Europe single. This appeared in the "America Underground" section of the April, 1982 issue of Trouser Press:



The December, 1982 "Green Circles" column in TP contained a favorable review of Chronic Town:



The same issue also contained a flexi disc of Wolves, Lower, the other side of which featured one of the two good Lords of the New Church singles (Russian Roulette).



I realize that these black flexis don't scan particularly well. Someday soon I'll do a more comprehensive post on the Trouser Press flexis, which came in a rainbow of cool colors beyond basic black...

Finally, here's a Creem profile from October, 1984, just for kicks:

1 comment:

tthrash said...

Thanks, ST. I wanted to do a post on this, but know writing about music isn't my forte (not to say such a post from HKHWR isn't imminent...) Besides, I guess it's better that you wrote about these guys, because, even though I may like them more, you know more about them than I do! :)