Friday, April 16, 2010

HUMBLE FOLKS WITHOUT TEMPTATION

Lana came home from school earlier this week singing Poker Face.

Now I got no qualms with Lady Gaga. Girlfriend works waaaay too hard at being “ “unique” ” (she earns those bonus quotation marks), but whatevs.

Anyway, I think she made it into my house via a recent episode of South Park. One of the more vocal boys in Lana's class seems to be a big South Park watcher.

And this is when I wonder if I'm sheltering Lana too much. I make an effort to monitor her pop-culture intake, and I would not willfully expose her to South Park.

Don't get me wrong-- I fucking love the show to this day. It remains one of the few viable outlets for true satire in our culture, as most of the others have pissed their slacks and devolved into easy cynicism and lazily referential irony. South Park still cares enough to be angry.

And I care enough to keep that anger from my 10-year-old daughter for just a little while longer...

No comments: