Wednesday, July 27, 2005

SING, SING A SONG

The spontaneous group sing-along is an odious moment whenever it pops up in movies-- I remember the hard-to-articulate rage that swelled up in me the first time I saw "The Big Chill."

But when it actually does happen spontaneously in real life-- especially when the main participants are a bunch of kids unaware of the beaten H'wood trope-- it's, um, kind of magical.

My nine-year old niece and 13-year old nephew were visiting over the weekend, and in a discussion about their favorite thises and thats, we lapsed into a group version of "All Together Now," with my six-year old daughter and two-year old son making a game effort.

We slid out of the moment as easily as we had entered into it and moved on, but part of me is still there...

No comments: