Wednesday, September 07, 2005

LITTLE BIT OF DIRT MIXED WITH TEARS

My time with Car Wheels on a Gravel Road yesterday reminded me that the thing is just a major sumbitch of an album. It's loaded with those moments that make me feel like a hit of extra-oxygenated blood has been injected into the base of my skull, and is tingling its way up to the crown of my head. Seriously, it's a physical reaction.

A few specific lines that do the trick:

"Could tell a lie but my heart would know"
"Are you heavy enough to make me stay/I feel like I might blow away"
"All I ask/Don't tell anybody the secrets/Don't tell anybody the secrets I told you"

Of course that stuff benefits from its context and delivery, but there are also moments of unadorned poetry:

"We used to drive
Thru Lafayette and Baton Rouge
In a yellow El Camino
Listening to Howling Wolf"

Plus it kicks off with an unashamed and adult encomium to female masturbation.

Go. Listen. Now.

No comments: