Saturday, November 05, 2005

IT'S SELF-LOCKING

If your X IQ does not go beyond the totally appropriate cover of Breathless and/or the totally inappropriate cover of Wild Thing, I implore you to dig deeper.

I'd suggest that you download Under the Big Black Sun for starters. The album of the same name was informed in part by the death of Exene's sister Mary, and this particular song is a dizzying conflation of adultery, death, and Jesus:

"If it isn't men it's death
It's the same old testament
At the cross her station keeping
Stood the mournful mother weeping
Where my man extended hung
Driven with nails to wood"

Then this passage hits me like a sucker punch, I think because it seems so painfully verite:

"The sly brown fox pulled up a glass
Pulled up a chair
And yanked out my hair
When I tried to sit I fell down
When I woke up he was gone"

And then the ending is just so damn existentially pithy:

"The man is gone, Mary's dead
Good morning midnight"

The rest of the album is pretty sweet too, but this song comes from another planet.

I'm vacation-bound, so no posts for a week or so. Enjoy your X...

No comments: