Friday, April 28, 2006

I SAW A MAN HOLD A CHICKEN TO HIS HEAD

I work right around the corner from where the Zacarias Moussaoui trial is being held.

Every night I drive past the media trucks lining Eisenhower Avenue, with their random assemblage of antennas and satellite dishes poking at the dry air in search of a signal.

This morning I sat in traffic sandwiched between two sparkling black Mercedes-Benz SUVs, the exhaust from my $3-per-gallon gas mingling with theirs.

And with the courthouse in plain view, I heard The Mekons again: "Vengeance is not ours, it belongs to those/Who seek to destroy us/How much more is there left to lose?"

I neared the parking garage, and yielded to a car with an oval "W" bumper sticker, allowing it to enter ahead of me.

When I reached my assigned parking spot, I found a disoriented VW sitting there. The license plate read NY1DC, and carried the custom "Fight Terrorism" logo of the World Trade Center surrounded by the Pentagon.

It was a pretty confusing morning...

No comments: