Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I ENVY YOU, SO MUCH ROCKING TO DO

My goal yesterday was simply to blog Yo La Tengo’s Sugarcube video.

Before I even set about to do that, I learned that the Sugarcubes were going to be reuniting for a single show.

Sugarcubes, sugarcubes everywhere...

Now, I actually kind of sort of really disliked the Sugarcubes back in the day. Bjork was obviously a cool force of nature, but I couldn’t stomach the hectoring Sugarcube, the one I call Sven. “That leetle girl showed great interest in all the mo-tor crashes in the neigborhood...” Shut the fuck up, Sven.

Anyway, YouTube was being all uncooperative, and wouldn’t let me blog the YLT video. So instead, I’ll just describe it for you.

It opens on the highland moors, a great mist washing over three lone figures draped in red. The mist rises, and finally clears, revealing... Yo La Tengo! They smile knowingly as the opening drums trip in. There is then a quick cut to the band riding in the cab of a pickup, crossing the George Washington Bridge. It must be the 4th of July, because this huge, awesome American flag is hanging from one of the towers of the bridge.

The footage is then sped up, like one of those videos where you watch a flower bloom, and when it finally slows down the band are set up on a softball field in Edgewater, New Jersey, with the Manhattan skyline as their backdrop. They continue to rock, and a mist comes in off the river and envelopes them as the song comes to a close.

Oh man, it’s just so cool.

I didn’t really do it justice, so feel free to head over to YouTube and search for “Yo La Tengo Sugarcube”...

No comments: