Tuesday, January 30, 2007

WHO'S GOT THE 10 MINUTES?

The other day, brain coral mentioned his general distaste for songs over 10 minutes long.

It was in the context of his recent purchase of the new disc from Deerhoof, which ends with an 11 minute track. He expected to hate it...

Well, he’s confirmed that the Deerhoof song pretty much sucks, and I admit that I share his lack of surprise.

(I really liked The Runners Four, and I suspect the rest of this one is probably pretty great, so I’m going to pick it up as well. And probably never listen to that one track.)

This led me to wonder what my iPod looks like in its current state, in regard to songs over the 10 minute mark.

Not counting suite-type stuff like Godspeed You Black Emperor! or Pure Phase by Spritualized, here’s my list of seam stretchers, from longest to “shortest”:

DJed, Tortoise
Jenny Ondioline, Stereolab
Night Falls On Hoboken, Yo La Tengo
Refractions In The Plastic Pulse, Stereolab
Sister Ray, The Velvet Underground
1/1, Brian Eno
Cop Shoot Cop, Spiritualized
Track Goes By, The High Llamas
Pree-Sisters Swallowing A Donkey's Eye, Neutral Milk Hotel
Debra, Beck
"Animal or Vegetable (A Wonderful Wooden Reason...)", Stereolab
Sailing By, Ronald Binge
Soop Groove #1, Stereolab
1/2, Brian Eno
The Story Of Yo La Tengo, Yo La Tengo
The End, The Doors
Blue Milk, Stereolab
Static/Diamond Bollocks, Beck
Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands, Bob Dylan
Marquee Moon, Television
Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind, Yo La Tengo
Spec Bebop, Yo La Tengo
Trainspotting, Primal Scream
Won't Get To Heaven (The State I'm In), Spritualized
Soup, CAN
Do I Do, Stevie Wonder
Viðrar vel til loftárása, Sigur Rós
Hallogallo, Neu!
Svefn-g-englar, Sigur Rós

No comments: