Friday, August 03, 2007

SINGLE OF THE WEEK

The one thing I did pick up at Plan 9 was a two-disc comp called CD86.

It’s a survey of the C86 movement that flowered briefly in the UK back in the mid 80s.

The whole movement was actually named after a cassette that the NME gave away back in 1986.

Near as I can tell, there’s not a unified field theory for this one, but I hear a lot of jangly guitars and seriousness of intent/purpose that tilts my head Athens-ward.

I bought it new for a little less than $25, which for 50 or so songs feels like a bargain.

It also feels like a bargain because there are so many bands I don’t really know.

Bands I do know, at least a little:
Primal Scream, June Brides, BMX Bandits, Talulah Gosh, Television Personalities, JAMC, Primitives, PWEI, Wedding Present, Age of Chance, Half Man Half Biscuit, Darling Buds, Pooh Sticks, Soup Dragons, McCarthy, Mighty Lemon Drops, Pastels

Bands I’m pretty sure I don’t know at all:
Hurrah, Loft, East Village, Servants, Another Sunny Day, Sea Urchins, Siddeleys, Boy Hairdressers, Hit Parade, Weather Prophets, Mighty Mighty, Dentists, Razorcuts, Bodines, Raw Herbs, Laugh, Jasmine Minks, Fizzbombs, Fourteen Iced Bears, Close Lobsters, Meat Whiplash, Bachelor Pad

It’s probably not all great, but it’s an education…

No comments: