Tuesday, April 08, 2008

TALK TALK TALK TALK

I haven’t been really gripped by anything since Sound of Silver and Person Pitch. So while I wait patiently on 2008, I’ve been doing some digging for worthy stuff that I might have just missed.

I looked back to the Pitchfork top 100 of the 80s and 90s lists for candidates, and found one sitting at number 11 on the 90s list: Laughing Stock by Talk Talk.

Now, honestly, I never would have given Talk Talk a third thought beyond It’s My Life and Talk Talk (the song), and even then it would not been a thought of much consequence.

So it did always intrigue me to see them on this list. It’s like finding out that Blancmange had some secret profundity beyond the simple pleasures of Living on the Ceiling and Don’t Tell Me.

I listened to it for the first time last night, and I fell asleep on the couch almost instantly. That’s not a judgment on the music, though—I was just exhausted.

I woke up around halfway through, and I did hear some very pretty sounds…

No comments: