Tuesday, March 09, 2010

YOU CAN CALL ME A-L

It's spring cleaning time, so I'm going to clear out a few abandoned posts this week.

The ambition behind the first one was to catalog all of the songs I have in iTunes that share a title but are discrete entities, ie, no covers. Then, I wanted to determine through a complex Olympic-style scoring system just which title was the best, overall.

Then about halfway through the exercise, I got tired. So here's the list up to the L's (and I'd say the early leaders were Come Together, Good Times, Heaven, and Let's Go Crazy-- Lust for Life could be a comer):

Airplane, The Beach Boys
Airplane, Pizzicato Five

All I Need, Air
All I Need, Radiohead

All I Want is You, John Cale
All I Want is You, U2

All My Friends, LCD Soundsystem
All My Friends, Pavement

Beautiful World, Devo
Beautiful World, 宇多田ヒカル

Blue Moon, Big Star
Blue Moon, Damon and Naomi

Candyman, Cornershop
Candyman, カヒミ・カリィ

Cars, Gary Numan
Cars, To Rococo Rot

Changes, David Bowie
Changes, The Zombies

Clouds, Cibo Matto
Clouds, The Go-Betweens

Come Together, The Beatles
Come Together, Spiritualized

Contact, Big Audio Dynamite
Contact, Stereolab

Cool, Russ Tamblyn and the Jets
Cool, The Simpsons
Cool, Superchunk

Don't Stop, Fleetwood Mac
Don't Stop, The Stone Roses

Dreams, Fleetwood Mac
Dreams, TV On The Radio

Electricity, The Avalanches
Electricity, OMD
Electricity, Spiritualized

Emily, Joanna Newsom
Emily, John Cale

The End, The Beatles
The End, The Doors

Eyes on the Prize, Bruce Springsteen
Eyes on the Prize, M. Ward

Flower, Liz Phair
Flower, Sonic Youth

Flowers, Cibo Matto
Flowers, Chug

The Fool, Camper Van Beethoven
The Fool, Neutral Milk Hotel

Glass, Gang of Four
Glass, Joy Division
Glass, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians

Gloria, Laura Branigan
Gloria, Patti Smith

Go, Moby
Go, Tones On Tail

God Only Knows, Cornelius
God Only Knows, The Beach Boys

Gone For Good, Morphine
Gone For Good, The Shins

Good Times, Jim O'Rourke
Good Times, The Rolling Stones
Good Times, Chic

Grass, Animal Collective
Grass, Robert Wyatt
Grass, XTC

Halloween, Dream Syndicate
Halloween, Sonic Youth

Harvest Moon, Jason and the Scorchers
Harvest Moon, Neil Young

Heaven, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians
Heaven, Talking Heads

High and Dry, The Rolling Stones
High and Dry, Radiohead

I Believe, The Buzzcocks
I Believe, R.E.M.

I Don't Know, Chris Bell
I Don't Know, The Mekons
I Don't Know, The Replacements

I Should Have Known Better, The Beatles
I Should Have Known Better, Yo La Tengo

I Want You Back, Bananarama
I Want You Back, Hoodoo Gurus
I Want You Back, Jackson 5

Leave Me Alone, Altered Images
Leave Me Alone, New Order

Let's Dance, David Bowie
Let's Dance, The Ramones

Let's Go Crazy, The Clash
Let's Go Crazy, Prince

Liar, New Order
Liar, The Sex Pistols

Lies, The Knickerbockers
Lies, Thompson Twins

Little Bird, The Beach Boys
Little Bird, The White Stripes

Lust for Life, Girls
Lust for Life, Iggy Pop

No comments: