Tuesday, October 25, 2005

THE SKELETAL GHOST

"Aluminum Tunes"
This is a wicked good double-disc comp of some of the stuff I mentioned yesterday, plus some equally incandescent stuff that I didn't. Their version of One Note Samba/Surfboard is the apotheosis of a slightly jaded brand of groovy...

And as with the albums, it is around here that things get a bit dodgy. I cut "The First of the Microbe Hunters" some slack, seeing as it was strictly an odds and sods affair. [As enticing as an outtake from Dots and Loops seemed in theory, in practice I Feel the Air (Of Another Planet) didn't do much more than show that it deserved to be taken out.]

"The Free Design" EP was due south of inspired. Escape Pod (From the World of Medical Observations) at least had an interesting title, but was as gripping as listening to someone count.

Long Life Love
This is abidingly odd, like a bunch of tiny ill-formed revelations in search of a unifying epiphany. I think I would have liked it better in French...

The Super-It
Who does stuff like this? I mean, who releases their best and brightest as a vinyl-only tour single? It still hasn't been officially digitized to this day, but it's sure to sparkle on the next Switched On...

ABC Music and Oscillons from the Anti-Sun are both very useful buckets of ashes, sweeping up BBC sessions and most of the EPs. But it is telling how much looking back this forward-looking bunch has been doing of late.

While my obsession has closed its loop, I'm sure I will continue to buy anything new the group puts out, prepared, as I have been of late, to be nonplussed (Instant 0) or pleasantly surprised (Kybernetica and Interlock from the new singles)...

No comments: