Wednesday, December 21, 2005

FALLIN' FREE

Totally '70s.

Da Doo Run Run-- Shaun Cassidy
This was what it was, and it is what it is. Never was it cause for handwringing, and never was it an object lesson. Call it teen idol, call it pop idol, call it American idol, call it Billy Idol for all I care. And then just move on.

Instant Karma-- John Lennon
This is sort of the longhair version of what drew me to punk, so I’m all over it.

I’m Not in Love-- 10cc
That “big boys don’t cry” part still gives me the creeps. Fun fact: 10cc was named after the measure of the average human male ejaculation. Less Godley, and more Creme, then…

Use Me-- Bill Withers
Not dry and sapless, this Withers, but rather warm, smooth, and just a little sticky.

Fame-- David Bowie
Harumph.

Never Can Say Goodbye-- Jackson 5
There were five of them? No shit...

Take it Easy-- Eagles
The California sound, all brown(e) outs, dust storms, and cutoff jeans. I once sang it in the back seat of a Corolla at the top of my lungs all the way from the Bronx to Jersey. You know, just to be annoying...

Brick House-- Commodores
For someone who would prove himself to be such an insufferable American Music Award winning prick, Lionel was part of something cool once upon a time. Those are the ones that hurt the most.

Count on Me-- Jefferson Starship
Speaking of which... This finds our wayward travelers nearly complete on their journey from some kind of relevance to total meaninglessness. It's apparent that they're just a puddle hop away from cutting off their Jefferson...

I Feel Love-- Donna Summer
Massive. Hedonistic pillow talk that bounces along on a motorik beat, it's the ultimate '70s fusion of European and American sensibilites. I feel it too...

This was a pretty impressive cross section of '70s radio-- I'll give it an A-.

The Big '80s will have to wait until after Christmas. Peace to you and your families.

No comments: