Thursday, December 29, 2005

IT’S A GAS GAS GASTROPOD

I was talking with a friend last night, and it was getting late. She swung her feet off the couch, preparing to say goodnight, but quickly drew them back up. She had stepped on something that was not quite carpet.

We both looked down at the floor, squinting, trying to make sense of what it was. The kids had been in the room earlier, eating Choco Pies and wafers, so we expected it was some remnant of that feast.

No. No, it was not. The large brown teardrop that began to come into focus was a slug. A slug.

I took it as a sign. A near-biblical portent.

Which is all just to explain my general sluggishness today. I will pick up my sat rad survey in 2006.

Have a safe and happy New Year’s celebration.

And take a little time to embrace your inner slug…

No comments: