Wednesday, January 04, 2006

HAVE ANOTHER HIT

Classic Vinyl, wherein the classic rock sounds of the '60s and '70s conspire to illustrate just what a dumbass I am. Damn you, classic rock sounds of the '60s and '70s. Damn you to hell.

All Right Now-- Free
Hating this would be like hating a big slobbering puppy that's tripping all over itself trying to lick your face. It might be a little irksome, it might be a little gross, but you'd be a churl to scorn it...

25 or 6 to 4 –Chicago
Here's my first dim moment on the playlist. It was only within the last five years or so, after having been exposed to this for a lifetime, that I discovered what the title means. I always figured it was just a bunch of jazz-rock hippies sitting cross-legged on the floor, so stoned that they were riffing random numbers. I believe it was my friend Tom who pointed out that they are referring to the time. So, more properly, 25 or 26 to 4, or even better, 3:35 or 3:34. OK, you know what? Chicago deserves at least some of the blame here...

Fresh Air-- Quicksilver Messenger Service
Mercurial.

Love Me Two Times-- The Doors
We've been down this road before...

Bad Moon Rising-- CCR
It's built on such a Jimmy-crack-corn foundation that it's easy to miss just how foreboding it really is. It's like Gimme Shelter at a hoedown...

Sugar Mountain-- Neil Young
I like Neil Young. Some of my best friends are Neil Young. But I always found this to be an irritant. Hearing it for the first time in a long time, though, I'm surprised it's not as cloying as my memory had it pegged...

Right Place, Wrong Time-- Dr. John
Seems more like wrong place, right time. This is the least aged piece in the survey. You go, Mac Rebennack!

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys-- Traffic
Shining dumbass moment number 2. I thought this DJ bathroom break was super freaky, what with these boys in their high heels and all. Then about 10 years ago my friend Roger pointed out that “high heeled” was more likely what we'd call “well heeled” in America, that is, moneyed...

Grade: C+

1 comment:

tthrash said...

I don't know which "AHA!" moment is funnier, the one from Chicago or the one from Traffic. But at least we can dismiss the Traffic one with an 'Ok, we all miss the intended meaning here and there." But that Chicago one...dammit, ST, you have me thinking hard to when I was young, before digital clock/watch faces just had two or three hands. How did we read time that was more than half past the hour?