Wednesday, December 07, 2005

IN RESTLESS DREAMS

The somewhat pathetic truth is that this was not the original version that I sent to my friend.

That version went

"From this day onward, the visions could be ours
That the moon sees when it's standing in the towers
Of the night."

This was more pedestrian than epiphanic-- I didn't want to build to something so pat.

The whole point of leaving in the "Oohooh ooh ooh'" at the end of the first two verses was to give "Of the night" in this last verse some oomph, and I felt like this was undermining that effort.

I did what any reasonable soul would do, and called my friend and made him swear to never open the letter, vow to just rip it up on the spot.

So that night "the moon sees" became "seize the moon"-- I was pretty damn happy it was such an easy fix. With the flip of a homophone, I was able to move the action from the moon to the visions, where it belonged.

Crisis averted, I dropped this repaired version in the mail the next day...

No comments: