Friday, November 03, 2006

HOME TAPING IS DESTROYING MUSIC

The Clash, Give ‘Em Enough Rope, Combat Rock, 1977 Revisted, THE CLASH

I received the Clash on Broadway box as a gift back when it came out, and I’ve let that function as a stand in for The Clash, Give ‘Em Enough Rope, and Combat Rock for far too long. I’ve seen all three CDs (four, if you count the UK edition of the debut) hit the racks for $7.99, so it’s pretty hard for me to claim that the dollar made me do it.

The 1977 Revisited comp was a godsend when it came out in 1990, as it was the first real release to include the tracks that had been removed from the original version of the first album when it finally dropped in the states (1977, Deny, Cheat, 48 Hours, Protex Blue), as well as Groovy Times, Gates of the West, and a couple of others that had not seen the light of US day.

I’ll be on the road early next week, and will return to the cassette survey on Wednesday.

May you have a 120-minute, chromium-dioxide, write-protected, Dolby II, Type IV weekend...

No comments: