Friday, February 23, 2007

CHIMPAN-A TO CHIMPANZEE

Tiny random thoughts on a Friday afternoon.

-You can do worse when driving straight into a blinding sun on the Beltway than listen to Wig Wam Bam by Sweet.
-Headline from today’s Post: For First Time, Chimps Seen Making Weapons for Hunting. We’re doomed, folks. Flat out doomed.
-Also in today’s Post, macrocephalic Family Circus girl to grandma: “Do caterpillars know they’re going to be butterflies, or does God surprise them?” Again people— utterly fucking doomed.
-But I can at least amuse myself with the notion that there will one day be a chimp Britney. I am pleased by this mental picture.
-Hope There’s Someone by Antony and the Johnsons is a tragic and beautiful thing. But I’ll be damned if I can find a way into the rest of the disc. Does that make me a bad person?
-Would Apeman have been a bigger hit for The Kinks if Ray had not insisted on slurring that “The air pollution is a-foggin’ up my eyes” so that it sounds exactly like “The air pollution is fuckin’ up my eyes”?
-Speaking of The Kinks, the liner notes (by John Mendelsohn) to The Kink Kronikles are one of the few must reads in the whole genre. Definitely worth the squint to read in CD-booklet form.
-The most absurd liner notes I’ve ever seen in CD form are the list of credits for The Avalanches Since I Left You. One day, our chimp masters will mock us for sure…

No comments: