Monday, May 14, 2007

DO PI

Seems to me a person could dedicate a blog to the daily results of their shuffle.

But this is not that blog.

Except when it is.

Like this week.

Shuffle week on the tongue...

1. Staring at the Sun, TV on the Radio
I promise to one day like these guys more than I do currently. Just meet me halfway fellas...

2. Keep it Clean, Camera Obscura
Yeah, it's like Belle and Sebastian if Isobel was Stuart. But I like it. As long as the dude doesn't sing. This I call the Sugarcubes rule, and it translates roughly as “Dude, shut the fuck up.” Deerhoof, I'm looking at you, too...

3. Stay Free, The Clash
Up there with the very best of Mick Jones. Sentimental, but not treacly. And some excellent nongratuitous profanity. I remember when radio loved this song, but had to play the shits and fucks in reverse. Silly radio.

4. One More Hour, Sleater-Kinney
When they're on (like here) they give me the chills. The lead vocal is so damn committed, and then the backing vocal on the chorus is kind of sardonic-- it's an amazing contrapuntal kind of thing. And then that “Don't say another word/About the other girl” part? Damn, damn, and damn...

5. After Me the Deluge, Deerhoof
And speaking of Deerhoof... And dammit, the dude is singing! Must you mock me, iPod? But you know what? Actually, it's pretty OK. I take back what I said dude from Deerhoof-- you can continue to sing on occasion. And PS, I vote for “Apres moi le deluge” as one of history's coolest quotes...

No comments: