Tuesday, May 15, 2007

LIMITLESS MINNOWS

1. Monkey & Bear, Joanna Newsom
OK, so the monkey represents the body and the pleasures of the flesh, and Ursala the bear is spirituality. Or something like that. I was playing Freecell for some of the 9:28, OK?

2. Games People Play, The Spinners
All hail supperclub soul! And some basso profundo to boot. Love the way the various vocal lines finish each others' sentences. You know, like the games people play...

3. I Don't Want to See You, Camera Obscura
From the perfectly named album Underachievers Please Try Harder. Does seem a little strange that the iPod would go there again so soon, though.

4. Small Song IV, Broadcast
For the last six or seven years, I've been more interested in what Broadcast will do next than in what Stereolab will do next. And I have not been disappointed. Ha Ha Sound is up there with Dots and Loops as one of my all-time favorite albums of tonight...

5. Please Let Me Wonder, The Beach Boys
Many years ago I borrowed the Good Vibrations box-set from my buddy Tom. My then-toddler daughter was entranced by the faux wood-grain box, and figured she could improve on it with a little well-placed doodling. Well, she did improve on it, dammit. Plus, she inadvertently scored me my very own doodled-upon version of said box-set. And got for Tom a nice clean new version. Let's just say it was a win-win-win...

No comments: