Friday, June 08, 2007

A DREAM I HAD IN 1995

I swear I have music on this thing that came out in the 21st century, all available evidence to the contrary.

However, here's another five songs to refute that notion...

1. Autonomy, Buzzcocks
Half a great song, but they can't quite bring it home. And I've long been suspicious that they want “autonomy” to sound like “on top of me,” and further, that they think this clever.

2. Break Down the Door, Special AKA
Special AOR, Special MOR, Special DDT, Special DOA, Special FUCK.

3. Young Ned of the Hill, The Pogues
One of those non-Shane numbers from Peace and Love that ain't half bad. Making “Ireland” sound like a simple compound word...

4. The State I Am In, Belle and Sebastian
The version from the Dog on Wheels EP. Not the one from Tigermilk. Sweet merciful crap, am I a geek...

5. If the Kids Are United, Sham 69
The cool thing about baseball in Japan is that they do these modified terrace chants for each individual player. If I were a gaijin playing for the Hiroshima Carp, I would ask that the fans sing the chorus to this song each time I came to bat.

No comments: