Friday, June 29, 2007

TROMPE-L'OEIL

1. Escape Pod [From the World of Medical Observations], Stereolab
I hadn't heard this in a couple of years, and now it's the second time I've heard it today. And I still can't help singing “Savior Faire is everywhere” on the verses. Somewhere Klondike Kat purrs his approval...

2. Flitcraft, The Mekons
Every song ever should be called “Flitcraft”...

3. Miss Modular, Stereolab
Ah, Miss Modular. Or as I like to call it, Flitcraft.

4. Snake and Martyrs, TV on the Radio
Pretty damn sweet for a bonus track. This is one of those albums where the single was just so strong that I sought it out continuously at the expense of the rest of the disc. There might just be a relationship here yet...

5. Jesus, Etc., Wilco
The first album I remember buying for myself was Fantastic, a K-Tel comp featuring 22 sometimes truncated versions of the biggest hits of 1972 and 1973, crammed onto a single slab of brittle vinyl. It had a garish rainbow cover with “Fantastic” written at the top in 48 pt Have A Nice Day font, and damn it meant the world to me. This was the tracklist:

Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Ole Oak Tree - Tony Orlando and Dawn
Crocodile Rock - Elton John
The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia - Vicki Lawrence
Twelfth of Never - Donny Osmond
Power to All Our Friends - Cliff Richard
Hocus Pocus - Focus
Little Willy - Sweet
Lean On Me - Bill Withers
L.A. Freeway - Jerry Jeff Walker
It Sure Took a Long, Long Time - Lobo
Rock N' Roll, Part Two - Gary Glitter
Free Electric Band - Albert Hammond
Misdemeanor - Foster Sylvers
I'm Doin' Fine Now - New York City
I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More Baby - Barry White
The Morning After - Maureen McGovern
Twistin' the Night Away - Rod Stewart
Go All the Way- Raspberries
Armed and Extremely Dangerous - First Choice
Randy - Blue Mink
Back When My Hair Was Short - Gunhill Road
Rocket Man - Elton John

No comments: