Tuesday, June 12, 2007

HE CAN’T BE A MAN ‘CAUSE HE DOESN’T SMOKE THE SAME CIGARETTES AS ME

It was 12 years ago today that I quit smoking.

I woke up that morning with my then-standard chest-rattling cough.

I looked over in the trash can at the broken pieces of my Godzilla-paw ashtray, with its awesome glow-in-the-dark nails. I had knocked it off the night table inadvertently a couple of days earlier.

After breakfast, I was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper, and I realized it was time.

I went into the closet in my bedroom and grabbed an open carton of Doral Lights, with six full packs remaining. I handed the smokes to my wife, and let her know I would not be needing them anymore.

In honor of this anniversary, I just wanted to share a recent obsession of mine.

This Newport ad is so mind-bendingly cynical on so many levels that it actually becomes a piece of tragic art…




No comments: